Thursday, September 24, 2015

Sew much fun!

I have rediscovered sewing!  I took "home ec" in high school and my mom tried to teach me, but I was too impatient to do it correctly.  The quickest way to finish was the way I sewed.  Didn't matter to me if the thread matched or the seams lined up. Get er done!!

Now that I have been attempting quilting, I have had to relearn how to sew and I am having a ball. I can't believe I used to despise sewing.  I guess it was because then, I HAD to sew, now I sew because I want to.  I enjoy making beautiful things to give to the people I love.  When I decided to learn how to quilt last fall,  I got the great idea of giving quilts to all of my family for Christmas this year.  WHAT was I thinking?  LOL  I have 5 living children, two with spouses, 16 grands, 3 with spouses, and 4 great-grands  with one on the way!!!   That's 25 quilts, for a beginner!  I'm happy to say, I have all but three of the tops done, and 4 of them quilted.  I am going to concentrate on getting the smaller kids done first, the adults will understand that they have to wait until theirs is finished.  Time is running out quickly.

I have also been making clothes for some of them too.  I didn't get to make things for the older grand-kids because I had to work all the time and didn't have time or the inclination to do any sewing.  Now that I have all the time in the world to do things, I am making things for the younger ones.  I've found several sites online on how to recycle clothing into something useful.  I've made several skirts for the granddaughters out of old knit shirts, nightgowns out of pillowcases, and just cut up pieces for the fabric to make others.

I always wanted to have a daughter that I could dress up in frilly clothes, that lasted until she was about 4 or 5.  Of course with 4 older brothers, how could she be anything but a tomboy!  She didn't get girly again until she was about 17.  sigh,  I guess I jinxed myself though.  I had all kinds of little girl things that I had gotten thru the first 4 pregnancies that I held onto hoping against hope that I would finally get my little girly girl.  After the fourth boy, I decided I was not going to have any more babies.  I sold all my baby clothes, like to have broken my heart.  Then guess what?  I got pregnant again a year later and had my girl!  LOL

Am also making some craft type things for a festival in November in Lebanon where my daughter lives. Table toppers, hot pads, candle pads, etc just to keep from getting burned out on the quilts.  And of course, even though I sold tons of my beaded and embroidered jewelry at Silver Dollar City last year, I still have quite a bit left and that is going into the fair too.  

Well, speaking of time running out, I need to get to sewing.  Have a wonderful weekend and a Blessed Sunday, talk to you later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment